Date of Issue:
March 15, 1995
Postal Stationery Printing House, Prague, Czech Republic
Rotary-recess printing combined with recess printing
|FDC Design:||Igor Benca|
|Cancellation Design:||Igor Benca|
|Printing:||Kasico a.s., Bratislava|
|FDC Print Run:||10,000|
Nitra is the oldest town in Slovakia, already established as such in early feudal Great Moravia. Written sources from the first third of the 9th century mention the consecration of a church to Pribin by the Bishop of Salcburk, Adalrám.
One of the main political and economic centres of Great Moravia, Nitra is also an important archaeological area and has been seat of the Principality of Nitra, of Svätopluk, a bishopric and location of a chapter and the Benedictine monastery at Zobor where the oldest school in Slovakia was established. Belo IV granted Nitra the privileges of a free royal town in 1248.
The castle dates back to the 11th century and was converted to gothic style in the 15th century. Its oldest parts are Vazil tower and the romanesque Saint Emeram´s rotunda from the 12th century. The gothic Upper Church or St. Emeram´s Cathedral dates from the years 1333-35. The castle grounds and archaeological remains of an Old Slav settlement are a national cultural monument. Since 1984 Nitra has been a town heritage reservation.
|Copyright ©2000 askom|