The municipality Šaštín is situated on borderline between the Myjava Hills and Záhorie Lowland. In 1564, Our Lady of Sorrows appeared to Angelika Bakičová, the wife of the landowner Imrich Czobor. She was praying in a very difficult situation in her life. The same year, for hearing of her prayer, she ordered to build a statue at the very place.
The wooden statue was sculpted by an unknown artist. The believers from the near and far surroundings started to visit the place. In the second half of the XVI century, the trigonal Marian Chapel was built at the same place, where the statue was stored.
The decree of an Esztergom archbishop Estzterházy from 1732 confirmed public worshipping of the statue of Our Lady of Sorrows and this place of pilgrimage was officially snctioned by the Church. At the 200 anniversary of appariton, the statue was moved to the new built temple and placed on the main altar. The pilgrim temple is a monumental, late baroque construction with murals by J.J. Chamant and altar pictures by J.L.Kracker. Our Lady of Sorrows was cannonized by Holy See as a patron of Slovakia, in 1927, by the decree of pope Pius Xi.
Stamp motive: Piety from the main altar of the Basilica of Our Lady of Sorrows in Šaštín.
FDC motive: The trigonal Marian Chapel